Mangos exit FA Cup but stay in Vase

MANGOTSFIELD’S FA Cup hopes disappeared for another year following a heavy 5-1 defeat at last year’s FA Vase winners, Ascot United. 

Ascot were ahead inside two minutes but the Mangos battled well until the home side found their way through again in the 40th minute, going 3-0 up by half-time.

Ascot then made it 4-0 within 60 seconds of the re-start and, while a consolation from Jaydn Crosbie on 70 minutes made it 4-1, the home side’s Brendan Matthew completed a hat-trick from the spot to make it 5-1 in stoppage time, with the penalty decision also seeing Mangos defender Stuart Tovey red-carded.

Next came a disappointing 1-0 Hellenic League away defeat to Royal Wootton Bassett Town.

In a close contest, the only goal came on 43 minutes when a low cross caught the Mangos defence off guard, with the home side’s Bailey Gallagher producing a cool first-time finish at the far post.

The Mangos then began their other potential route to Wembley via the FA Vase, commencing with a strong 3-0 home win against Thornbury Town. 

Jaydn Crosbie (23 & 86) & Luke Bence (50) bagged the goals against a lively Thornbury side who, to their credit, kept going until the end. Overall it was a good performance by the Mangos, who now receive a bye in the next round.

However, two consecutive 2-1 home league defeats inside a week dampened the atmosphere around Cossham Street. 

In the first Corsham Town, one of the title favourites this season, went ahead on 26 minutes, but Jaydn Crosbie levelled right on half time. A tense second half, with both sides going close, climaxed with an 85th-minute winner for Corsham.

The next defeat, this time to Slimbridge, was down to yet another late goal. 

After Theo Clayson had put Slimbridge ahead in the early part of the second half, the Mangos equalised on 82 minutes through Lewis Short, only to see Romaine Campbell strike in the fourth minute of stoppage time to claim the victory. And there was still time for Mangotsfield’s Isaac Flynn to see red two minutes later.

The team returned to winning ways the following Saturday, with a 2-1 away win at Lydney Town.  

After a goalless first half, Jack Hicks put the Mangos ahead on 51 minutes. Lydney levelled after 70 minutes but the Mangos kept plugging away and for once a late goal went our way, with Will Ashton’s 85th minute strike clinching a hard-earned away win.

The Mangos began their defence of the Hellenic League Cup with a 4-0 away win at Almondsbury against league new boys FC Bristol. 

A sometimes feisty encounter saw the hosts reduced to nine men after two red cards.  The Mangos used their numerical advantage well and could have scored more than their goals from Josh Pandolfino (4 & 78), Will Ashton (45+2) and Kyrese Morrison (49).

They travel to Warwickshire side Southam United in the next round.

Upcoming fixtures

September 27 Roman Glass St George (away)

September 30 Longlevens  (home) Family Fun Day – Free Admission

October 3 Fairford Town (H)

October 7 Hereford Pegasus (A)

October 10 Brimscombe & Thrupp (H)

October 14 Hereford Lads Club (H)

October 21 Cinderford Town (A)

October 25 Southam United (A – league cup)

October 28 Worcester Raiders (H)

Dave Smale